Skip to main content

WEIGHT LOSS COOKIES

Take a break from the Christmas madness to make Christmas Cookies! These sugar cookies are classic vanilla biscuits that are made for cutting out shapes because they hold their shape perfectly when baked. NO CHILL time, make them soft OR crispy. Ice them my EASY way, dip in chocolate, dust with icing sugar or serve them plain! What I call “Christmas Cookies” are simply vanilla biscuits cut out in Christmas shapes and iced with colourful festive frosting. They taste like shortbread cookies, but not quite as buttery or crumbly. They are as classic as vanilla biscuits can be. This particular biscuit recipe is made for cutting out shapes – in this case, Christmas shapes. Most cookies spread snd puff up so they bear little resemblance to the shape you expected!

GET HEALTHY FOOD HERE ON AMAZON (may contain affiliate links)

GET HEALTHY FOOD HERE ON AMAZON (may contain affiliate links)
GET HEALTHY FOOD HERE ON AMAZON (may contain affiliate links)

WHAT I DID TO LOSE 20 POUNDS

What worked: 1. Eating a low-carbohydrate diet with a caloric intake slightly below maintenance. This meant no bread, pasta, grains, beans, fruit, or high carb vegetables. Typical day: Breakfast: 3 eggs, two cups broccoli, 2 tbsp ghee. Lunch: 300 calories of sunflower seeds, two cups broccoli, 1 red pepper, 2 tbsp coconut oil, 1 bar of 99% Lindt dark chocolate. Supper: 7 oz salmon, 2 tbsp ghee, 2 cups broccoli, 2 cups coconut milk, 1 scoop vega protein powder. This averages out to about 1700-2000 calories. Drastic caloric restrictions would make it difficult to sleep, as would intermittent fasting. Anything somewhat sweet spikes the false hunger. 2. Cutting out natural and artificial sweeteners. These would create false hunger. This included Stevia, and Zevia (a pop made with Stevia). This was difficult as I was addicted to Stevia. 3. Maintaining a moderate work-out schedule. I used to work out hard in order to lose weight, which created a lot of hunger. I now use exercise as a body sculpting tool and for overall health improvement. My routine: hot yoga three times per week, Doug Mcguff’s Big Five workout once per week, and HIIT intervals 30 sec on/40 sec off for 8 minutes once per week. I combine the Big Five and HIIT into one session and do the intervals first. 4. Eating 99% Lindt dark chocolate and drinking coffee. I eat a bar of dark chocolate every day, which is expensive ($3) but worth it. Bitter tastes and bland foods seem to curb my false hunger. The addiction of dark chocolate has been one of the biggest factors in decreasing my hunger. Be careful of 90% or less dark chocolate, as I get addicted to it. 5. Taking a shelf-stable probiotic with a high bacteria count (30 billion). I have found the Now brand (50 billion) curbed my hunger a bit, but I’m now using a shelf-stable one from Healthy Origin, with 30 billion. If probiotics are not shelf stable, they can lose a lot of their potency in the shipping process. 6. Working on overall health, which includes aiming for eight hours of sleep, meditating (30-40 minutes per day), and journaling. 7. Eating protein powder. I eat the Vega protein powder once per day, which helps with satiety. 8. Counting calories. I used cron-o-meter to track my energetic intake, and would enter the caloric totals into an excel spreadsheet. Each week, I average out my caloric intake and make notes about how I felt. This keeps me on track, and also gives me data about what works for me. Repetition of food helps me to count calories. I have used myfitnesspal and find it helpful as well. I will often go back and review my spreadsheet when I find myself getting off track, so I can refer to what was working. 9. Avoiding any food that is addictive. Now that I’ve balanced my diet, I am aware of the intense cravings and preoccupation that certain foods could trigger. This means that I have to eliminate “safe” or healthy foods from my diet, as they are difficult to moderate. 10. Working with a nutrition specialist. Through the internet I was able to work with several nutrition specialists who were helpful in different ways. I would recommend finding someone who seems to be into self-experimentation and has a genuine passion for healthy living. Some of the people I consulted with: Jolene Park, Cristi Vlad, Stephanie Person, and Joseph Cohen. I watched many Youtube videos and read countless articles and blog posts. What didn’t work or had limited benefit: 1. Most supplements. Glucomannan (Now brand) did help curb the hunger, but it left me feeling gassy and bloated. I used to mix a teaspoon of the powder with cocoa and stevia, making a chocolate pudding. I have spent thousands of dollars on supplements over the past few years, and most have not made much of a difference on my energy levels or hunger. 2. Antidepressants. They did help curb my hunger initially and improve my sleep, but this only lasted for two months. I often felt tired during the day. I tried Trazodone and Zoloft. 3. Intermittent Fasting (IF). I love the idea of IF, and it did seem to make a difference with my hunger some days. However, it didn’t seem to impact my false hunger much overall. I even did a few 48 hour fasts, which were easier than I thought. However, I lost a lot of hair a few months later and wondered if this hair loss (telogen effluvium) was due to the shock of fasting to my body.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WEIGHT LOSS COOKIES

Take a break from the Christmas madness to make Christmas Cookies! These sugar cookies are classic vanilla biscuits that are made for cutting out shapes because they hold their shape perfectly when baked. NO CHILL time, make them soft OR crispy. Ice them my EASY way, dip in chocolate, dust with icing sugar or serve them plain! What I call “Christmas Cookies” are simply vanilla biscuits cut out in Christmas shapes and iced with colourful festive frosting. They taste like shortbread cookies, but not quite as buttery or crumbly. They are as classic as vanilla biscuits can be. This particular biscuit recipe is made for cutting out shapes – in this case, Christmas shapes. Most cookies spread snd puff up so they bear little resemblance to the shape you expected!

CHOCOLATE BALL RECIPE

Step 1 For cake, preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Grease and line a 37.5cm slice pan. Combine flours, sugar, ginger, spice and bicarb in a bowl. Stir in butter, syrup, egg and milk. Pour into pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool. Step 2 Cut cake in half crossways. Use 2L pudding basin base and top as a guide to cut out a large and small disc of cake. Cut discs in half horizontally. Cut remaining cake in half horizontally, then into 6 triangles. Step 3 Line pudding basin with 2 layers of plastic wrap, allowing the sides to overhang. Place small disc of cake in base of basin. Place 3 cake triangles upright and up the side of the basin, trimming to fit. Step 4 Place the remaining cake triangles upside-down in the basin to fit between the upright triangles, trimming to fit. Use any remaining scraps of cake to fill in the gaps between the pieces. Step 5 Spoon the rum and raisin ice-cream into the cake-lined basin. Use the back of a spoon to make a well in the centre. Place in the freezer ...

SUGAR FREE MINT CAKE RECIPE

This dreamy chocolate cake is kissed with peppermint and white chocolate for an amazing holiday treat. On the outside a crown of red and white swirls and a skirt of crushed candy cane create a simple but elegant decoration scheme, while on the inside a two tone swirl awaits to delight your guests! PRO TIPS FOR THE BEST CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT CAKE If you’re not using 6-inch pans, double the recipe for 8-inch pans or triple the recipe for 9-inch pans. If you see little clumps of butter after you mix the wet ingredients don’t panic, it all works out by the time you mix in the dry ingredients. You can even use melted butter and warm the milk and sour cream up a bit if you like. To get FLAT layers that are moist inside and out try using cake strips! You can buy a set on the shop page or make your own from foil and paper towels at home. I made a whole blog post on it so check it out if you’re interested! If you don’t want to make Italian buttercream you can use the American variety. I just...